While most animal-milk alternatives have their own unique tastes and textures, Perfect Day has devised a way of “teaching” microflora to produce milk whey protein, resulting in dairy-identical products with no cows involved. The process, which uses precision fermentation and genetically modified fungi, consumes less water, and results in fewer emissions compared with traditional dairy farming. Under CEO and co-founder Ryan Pandya and co-founder Perumal Gandhi, the company has partnered with major brands like Starbucks and General Mills, and is making everything from cream cheese and ice cream to cake mixes and protein powder.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement