While most animal-milk alternatives have their own unique tastes and textures, Perfect Day has devised a way of “teaching” microflora to produce milk whey protein, resulting in dairy-identical products with no cows involved. The process, which uses precision fermentation and genetically modified fungi, consumes less water, and results in fewer emissions compared with traditional dairy farming. Under CEO and co-founder Ryan Pandya and co-founder Perumal Gandhi, the company has partnered with major brands like Starbucks and General Mills, and is making everything from cream cheese and ice cream to cake mixes and protein powder.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.