With the “sober curious” trend in full swing, you’ve probably heard a story like CEO Bill Shufelt’s: he quit drinking to be healthier and was unimpressed by the nonalcoholic beverage options available to him. Shufelt, however, vowed to create better ones. Unlike many of its zero-proof competitors, the resulting company—nonalcoholic beer brand Athletic Brewing Co.—is actually competing with booze giants. Founded in 2017, Athletic Brewing sold more than 100,000 barrels of beer last year (up from 37,500 in 2020) and was named 2021’s craft brewery of the year by trade publication Brewbound. The brand also donates 3% of its annual sales to charities like the Yosemite Conservancy, which in 2021 worked out to more than $1 million.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time