Verbal abuse often ruins otherwise great online multiplayer games. Modulate has a solution in the form of ToxMod, a first-of-its-kind platform that uses artificial intelligence to detect sexism, racism, or other forms of abuse in games, and alert human moderators, who can issue warnings or ban offenders. The goal, says co-founder and chief technology officer Carter Huffman, is to make games “safer and more inclusive.” ToxMod is already in use in major titles like Rec Room, which began deploying the tech for its 37 million users last year.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief