Real estate is almost always a hot investment—even, it seems, in the metaverse of the Sandbox, a blockchain-based virtual world that has sold at least $2 billion of digital “land.” Of the Sandbox’s 2.1 million users, 19,000—a number that’s up 375% year-over-year—“own a piece of that new world and are contributing to building it,” says co-founder Sebastien Borget. Big brands and celebs are getting in on the action too: in February, Gucci bought Sandbox land for an undisclosed sum to build an interactive shopping experience, while Snoop Dogg sold thousands of playable avatars for about $475 a pop.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time