Real estate is almost always a hot investment—even, it seems, in the metaverse of the Sandbox, a blockchain-based virtual world that has sold at least $2 billion of digital “land.” Of the Sandbox’s 2.1 million users, 19,000—a number that’s up 375% year-over-year—“own a piece of that new world and are contributing to building it,” says co-founder Sebastien Borget. Big brands and celebs are getting in on the action too: in February, Gucci bought Sandbox land for an undisclosed sum to build an interactive shopping experience, while Snoop Dogg sold thousands of playable avatars for about $475 a pop.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction