The self-help section of the bookstore is filled with guides on how to fix your marriage, but experts have offered little advice on how to maintain a long-term friendship. Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman, best friends and hosts of the popular podcast Call Your Girlfriend, offer a peek into how they maintain their cross-country bond. They argue that like marriages, friendships take nourishment. And they’ve put in the work for the better part of a decade, including seeing a therapist together when they began to drift apart. Though largely anecdotal, the book is peppered with studies about the emotional and psychological benefits of committing platonically to another person for the long haul. This year, many of us have been unable to travel and see some of the people who matter to us most: Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close can serve as a guidebook on how to support and love one another from afar.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time