In a year when James Baldwin’s iconic essays hit the bestseller list (again), Princeton professor and TIME contributor Eddie Glaude Jr.’s thoughtful and engaging study of the writer and activist was just what America needed to understand one of its greatest artists. In Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own, Glaude traces Baldwin’s complicated journey to understand racism in the U.S. and to wrestle with the hope and despair of the civil rights movement. It is a powerful study of how to bear witness in a moment when America is being called to do the same.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears