Twin sisters Stella and Desiree Vignes are Black but could pass as white: They come from the fictional Black town of Mallard, where the residents pride themselves on the lightness of their skin. One day, Stella decides to fully cross over into the white world, abandoning her past and her family in search of a discrimination-free life. Brit Bennett’s epic multigenerational tale follows both sisters and their daughters as they deal with the repercussions of this choice, and traces the unpredictable ways that personal decisions and societal rules interact.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate