California pop surrealist painter Isabel Samaras and Canadian artist Marcos Sorensen combined to create an image representing the urgency of climate change. Sorensen & Samaras were invited to TIMEPieces by John Mavroudis.
Title: “The Keys to Change”
In creating our piece “The Keys to Change” we’re sending a hopeful wish out into the universe for a better, cleaner future. We live in California, where the effects of climate change are very real and palpable — currently in the form of wildfires and droughts — and we worry about the world our son is inheriting. There is a tremendous urgency knowing that everyone needs to work now to preserve a livable planet by lowering (or better yet erasing) our carbon footprints, and fighting for global clean energy policies. And we look to the bright future with our hope and optimism intact.
About the Artists
Known for lush and meticulously painted riffs on Old Masters featuring pop culture icons of the past, Isabel Samaras’ ribald images are woven with references to classic horror movies, ancient mythology, cherished TV characters, tribal societies, and childhood fairy tales. Samaras’ work has been featured in Juxtapoz, Hi Fructose, the New York Times, as well as several books including “On Tender Hooks: The Art of Isabel Samaras,” and the documentary films “The Lowdown on Lowbrow” and “Newbrow: Contemporary Underground Art.”
Marcos Sorensen is a Canadian artist enjoying the California lifestyle to its fullest. His illustrations have appeared on everything from Swatches to craft beers, and his character design for Jeeves floated among Mickey and Kermit in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
View on OpenSea here.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?