Competition has grown stiff since Ecobee debuted the world’s first smart thermostat in 2009, but the Canadian company is still innovating with its new Premium model ($249.99). A luxe-looking redesign, including a touchscreen display 50% larger than its predecessor, is just the start. This thermostat offers air quality monitoring, smart speaker capabilities (which will listen for a smoke alarm when armed), a remote room sensor for managing hot or cold spots, and software that tracks occupancy to conserve energy and save money. Or use it in tandem with Ecobee’s security system (additional hardware and monthly subscription required): if a sensor-equipped door or window is left open for five minutes, your air conditioning will automatically pause.
Buy Now: Ecobee Smart Thermostat Premium
Correction Nov. 10
The original version of this story misstated some details about the Ecobee thermostat. It launched in 2009, not 2008, and it listens for a smoke alarm that is deployed, rather than coming with a built-in smoke detector.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time