SPECIAL MENTION: Meat lovers uncomfortable with the thought of butchering animals rejoice: Upside Foods wants to relieve their agony with Upside Chicken, real chicken breast grown from cultured cells. Though it isn’t vegan (it still starts with chicken cells), the poultry—debuting later this year, pending regulatory approval—forgoes the slaughterhouse, reducing eaters’ guilt, as well as contamination risk and antibiotic use. —Don Steinberg
Correction, Nov. 11.
The original version of this story misstated that fetal bovine serum is used to develop this product. Chicken cells are instead used.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror