SPECIAL MENTION: Meat lovers uncomfortable with the thought of butchering animals rejoice: Upside Foods wants to relieve their agony with Upside Chicken, real chicken breast grown from cultured cells. Though it isn’t vegan (it still starts with chicken cells), the poultry—debuting later this year, pending regulatory approval—forgoes the slaughterhouse, reducing eaters’ guilt, as well as contamination risk and antibiotic use. —Don Steinberg
Correction, Nov. 11.
The original version of this story misstated that fetal bovine serum is used to develop this product. Chicken cells are instead used.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving