SPECIAL MENTION: Developed by Austin, Texas-based ICON, the Vulcan system can 3D print 2,000-square-foot homes and other dwellings out of a cement-based material known as Lavacrete in as little as four days. The company has built more than two dozen homes so far—including a simulated Mars dwelling at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. Such tech could eventually be deployed on the Red Planet for real. —Jeffrey Kluger
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving