Search engines like Google and Bing claim to be free, but users pay by surrendering their data—surely you’ve noticed that ads for a product you recently researched magically begin appearing on every website you subsequently visit. Neeva wants to change that, offering a totally ad-free and private search experience starting at $4.95 a month (the first three months are free). Developed by a team of former Google employees, Neeva offers apps for Android, iPhone and iPad, and extensions for browsers. Since launching in June, it has garnered loads of positive reviews. —Jason Cipriani
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving