This vegan version of dairy is deliciously similar to the real thing. To create its milk proteins, which are identical to those produced by cows, Perfect Day leveraged fungi, which are capable of producing the proteins while remaining on a plant-based diet. (The result is also free from soy, nuts, gluten, and lactose.) One of its early partners, Brave Robot, uses the product to create ice cream so creamy and flavorful that you can barely tell that it’s animal-free—and with Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger now on the company’s board, Perfect Day’s future is looking bright. —Sanya Mansoor
Correction, Nov 19
The original version of this story misstated the characterization of Brave Robot’s ice cream. It is animal-free, not dairy-free.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow