This vegan version of dairy is deliciously similar to the real thing. To create its milk proteins, which are identical to those produced by cows, Perfect Day leveraged fungi, which are capable of producing the proteins while remaining on a plant-based diet. (The result is also free from soy, nuts, gluten, and lactose.) One of its early partners, Brave Robot, uses the product to create ice cream so creamy and flavorful that you can barely tell that it’s animal-free—and with Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger now on the company’s board, Perfect Day’s future is looking bright. —Sanya Mansoor
Correction, Nov 19
The original version of this story misstated the characterization of Brave Robot’s ice cream. It is animal-free, not dairy-free.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving