This vegan version of dairy is deliciously similar to the real thing. To create its milk proteins, which are identical to those produced by cows, Perfect Day leveraged fungi, which are capable of producing the proteins while remaining on a plant-based diet. (The result is also free from soy, nuts, gluten, and lactose.) One of its early partners, Brave Robot, uses the product to create ice cream so creamy and flavorful that you can barely tell that it’s animal-free—and with Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger now on the company’s board, Perfect Day’s future is looking bright. —Sanya Mansoor
Correction, Nov 19
The original version of this story misstated the characterization of Brave Robot’s ice cream. It is animal-free, not dairy-free.
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time