We’ve all become quite familiar with the word quarantine over the past two years, but journalists Geoff Manaugh and Nicola Twilley were studying the concept long before the days of COVID-19. In their deftly reported book, they trace the evolution of quarantine across the world, underlining the challenges of isolation and its impact on society. Until Proven Safe: The History and Future of Quarantine is not just a book about quarantining and its relationship to disease, but also an exploration of the intersections of biology, politics and technology. The book’s relevance in the modern moment makes it both unsettling and necessary.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time