As president and CEO of GLAAD, Sarah Kate Ellis is one of the most important voices in modern politics, full stop. She has long fought to ensure that people have equal rights under the law. In a position like hers, it’s not enough to just be smart, well-meaning, or a hard worker. She has that star quality, that X factor that makes people listen when she speaks.
Amid the introduction of more than 450 anti-LGBTQ bills in 2023 alone, Sarah Kate has made clear how this type of legislation negatively impacts the LGBTQ community and causes violence. After the mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs last year, I saw her educate people through the press about how hateful rhetoric has led to a sharp increase in anti-LGBTQ crimes.
LGBTQ people have always been treated by some as different and fearsome—and Sarah Kate, through her work and her beautiful example, has long stood up for what’s right.
Arquette is an Oscar-winning actor
- Why House Democrats Refused to Save McCarthy
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Self-Silencing Is Making Women Sick: Essay
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time