In 2008, I was starting Late Night and had a meeting with the Roots, in hopes that they would consider being the show’s house band. I met with them in Lorne’s office (since I didn’t have an office at the time) and Questlove goes, “If this is Lorne Michaels’ office, where’s the popcorn?”
That got me. Any comedy or SNL fan knows that Lorne always has a basket of popcorn in his office. And I knew immediately I had just made a friend. Not only is he a musical encyclopedia but also a comedy nerd and one of the most creative people I’ve ever met.
We’ve been working together ever since, and we’ve made almost 3,000 shows together. In that time, he’s also written six books while releasing incredible albums—and this past year made an amazing documentary called Summer of Soul that won every award you can think of.
When he was editing it, I remember him being nervous that it wasn’t going to get into Sundance, nervous that no one was going to buy the movie. Then I remember him winning Sundance—and suddenly not only Sundance, but also a Critics Choice Award, a BAFTA, an Oscar.
Now everyone wants to know what Quest is going to do next. Better get some popcorn because you’re gonna want to see this.
Fallon is an Emmy Award–winning comedian and the host of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time