Robert F. Smith is perhaps the savviest investor in America today. Through his firm, Vista Equity Partners, he manages $58 billion in more than 60 technology companies that employ tens of thousands of people worldwide. But even while recognizing his impressive record of success, his most important investments over the years have been in people.
Last year, Smith instantly granted hundreds of young Black men the ability to pursue their aspirations when he donated $34 million to the Morehouse College Class of 2019 so they could graduate debt-free. In addition to generous donations to his alma maters Cornell and Columbia universities, he also gave to the United Negro College Fund to increase educational opportunities for underrepresented students of color. Earlier this year, he lobbied tirelessly to secure relief for thousands of minority-owned small businesses. Through his efforts, Congress earmarked $10 billion for institutions that support investment in lower-income urban and rural communities.
Robert F. Smith has keenly recognized that the most important way to use wealth and considerable resources is to reinvest in people and their communities, societies and futures. If we can perpetuate this priority, we just may have a shot at creating a better world for future generations.
Jackson is a producer and an Academy Award-nominated actor, and Richardson Jackson is a producer and a Tony Award-nominated actor. They are married
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer