An autopsy revealed that the two former NAVY Seals found dead last week onboard the Maersk Alabama—the container ship that inspired the movie Captain Phillips—died of respiratory failure and suspected heart attacks.
Seychelles police said Tuesday that they are investigating whether the two 44-year-old American security officers consumed a substance that triggered the failure. “The police preliminary investigation report includes suspicion of drug use, as indicated by the presence of a syringe and traces of heroin which were found in the cabin,” police said in a statement.
The deceased, Jeffrey Reynolds and Mark Kennedy, were hired to deter pirates. The ship was hijacked in 2009 off the coast of East Africa. Those events inspired the 2013 Oscar nominated film Captain Philips.
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far