The man who murdered British soldier Lee Rigby on the streets of southeast London has been sentenced to life in prison, nearly a year after he drove into Rigby and hacked him to death with an accomplice.
Michael Adebolajo, 29, was given a life sentence, while his accomplice, Michael Adebowale, 22, was ordered to serve at least 45 years, BBC reports. The two started scuffling with court security guards and were removed from the court before the sentences were announced.
“You both gloried in what you had done,” the judge about the grisly murder that shocked the country. “Your sickening and pitiful conduct was in stark contrast to the women at the scene who tended to Lee Rigby’s body and challenged what you had done.”
Adebolajo claimed the killing was an act of war, and that he was a “solider of Allah.”
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time