Rumors that Channing Tatum would take over the role of Gambit were confirmed on Monday night when an X-Men: Days of Future Past producer revealed that the Magic Mike actor had been cast as the popular mutant.
“He’s a rascal, just like Remy LeBeau, and he can handle the action — we all know that,” Lauren Shuler Donner said at the Days of Future Past premiere in London. “He’s not from New Orleans, but he is a Southerner and he understands that world.”
Tatum had expressed interest in the role last month, saying, “Gambit’s really the only X-Men I’ve ever loved.” Gambit was previously played by Friday Night Lights actor Taylor Kitsch in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but Kitsch’s star has faded somewhat in the last two years, thanks to poor showings at the box office by John Carter and Battleship.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org