Actress Octavia Spencer is joining the cast of the Divergent franchise for the upcoming film Insurgent.
The Academy Award winner will play Johanna, the leader of a peace-loving faction within the novel-turned-film franchise’s dystopian future, Variety reports. The film is slated for release in March 2015, with the third installment “Allegiant” following in two parts, in the vein of other popular teen film franchises including Twilight and The Hunger Games.
Robert Schwentke, who also directed the Time Traveler’s Wife and 2010’s RED, will direct the film. The Divergent franchise is based on the best-selling novels by Veronica Roth, which center on a teenage heroine of the future battling a government that divides young adults into factions based on virtue.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org