The world halted on its axis Monday when TMZ published surveillance footage that purportedly shows Solange Knowles, the younger sister of the one and only Beyoncé, getting into a fight with Jay Z in an elevator while Bey stands in the corner. TMZ claims the video footage comes from the elevator at the Standard Hotel, where along with an apparently much-needed security guard, the trio attended an after party following the annual Met Gala, a red-letter evening on New York’s fashion calendar.
The hotel told The Grio it is “shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system,” but neither Solange Knowles nor Jay Z have commented.
Since the clip has no audio, it’s unclear what started the confrontation. But Twitter, of course, took the news and ran with it. Within minutes Solange was trending on both Facebook and Twitter, and shortly thereafter the hashtag #WhatJayZSaidToSolange became Twitter’s top hashtag. Below, our favorite reactions:
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.