Michael Sam’s St. Louis Rams jersey is the second-best selling NFL rookie jersey so far, the league said Monday.
Sam became the first openly gay football player to be drafted by the NFL on Saturday, when the Rams picked him in the seventh round of the draft. Sam kissed his boyfriend, and President Barack Obama congratulated Sam in a statement.
NFL spokeswoman Joanna Hunter confirmed that between Thursday and Sunday, Sam’s jersey was the second-highest selling rookie jersey. Here’s the list of the top five selling rookie jerseys:
1. Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns
2. Michael Sam, St. Louis Rams
3. Jadeveon Clowney, Houston Texans
4. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
5. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time