Here are the stories TIME is watching this Thursday, May 8:
- Former Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel waited until the 22nd pick to hear the Cleveland Browns call his name at the 2014 NFL draft.
- Fierce storms battered the Midwest with heavy winds, rain and hail as tornadoes touched down in Colorado and Minnesota.
- Apple is reportedly close to a $3.2 billion acquisition deal with Beats Electronics, maker of famous Beats By Dre headphones.
- Hello my baby, hello my honey. Scientists find 14 species of dancing frogs in India.
The Brief is published daily.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State