Stephen Colbert turns 50 today, so it’s a perfect time to re-watch his hilarious Colbert Report segment in which he composes and sings a new birthday jingle. He cannot sing the copyrighted “Happy Birthday to You” because he is afraid that Warner Music will sue him.
The late-night host’s royalty-free version of the classic tune sounds more like the national anthem, though we’re not sure everyone celebrating a birthday will appreciate someone singing, “You’re getting so old, and you’re shaped like a pear” to his or her face.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve