Sotheby’s sold three previously unknown works by Spanish surrealist Joan Miró this week. The paintings were discovered in a vault where they had been hidden for half a century. Miró had given them to Thomas Bouchard and his daughter Diane. Bouchard filmed Miró for his undistributed documentary Around and About Joan Miró.
The work displayed above sold for $1.3 million at the Impressionist & Modern Art Day Sale on Thursday, over two times its highest estimate. Another was sold for $8 million Wednesday night. Altogether, the three works sold for a total of $9.3 million.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy