We all knew crayons could be used to draw beautiful art, but who knew crayons could also themselves be art?
Behold Wax Nostalgic, a project which features the work of artist Hoang Tran, who creates incredibly detailed sculptures made from nothing other than good old Crayola crayons.
Tran mainly takes inspiration from pop culture — he’s recreated characters from shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad along with those from movies like Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast. He also takes custom orders, which means he could totally create a sculpture of your dog (He sells his work on Etsy).
Tran emphasizes that the sculptures — even the multicolored ones — are made entirely from crayons.
“Painting would probably be a lot easier but I’m a purist and want the entire carving to be made of crayon wax,” Tran told Lost At E Minor in a recent interview. “I don’t want to reveal the exact technique but I basically melt wax from one crayon and carefully apply it drop by drop to the main crayon I’m working on.”
Here are some of our favorites:
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far