Here are the stories TIME is watching Wednesday, May 7:
- Barack Obama pledged American help for Nigeria after eight more girls were abducted by Boko Haram Tuesday in addition to the more than 200 already held captive. The U.S. will send military, law enforcement officials and hostage negotiators in an effort to return the girls to their families.
- Few Tea Party challengers unseated their incumbent GOP rivals in Tuesday’s Republican primaries in North Carolina, Ohio, and India.
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is getting ready to go public in the U.S. in what could be the biggest tech IPO in history.
- Kevin Durant was named NBA MVP after having a stellar statistical season and leading his Oklahoma Thunder to the playoffs.
The Brief is published daily.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time