The first round of the 2014 NFL Draft starts this week, but the prom date draft is already well under way at a southern California high school.
Male students at Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach, Calif., choose their prom dates through a draft, and the results have been shared on Twitter, along with a rulebook for the exercise, the Orange County Register reports: “One tweet posted by the senior class Twitter account joked the day before Thursday’s draft that ‘Many drafters on the prowl tomorrow for #freeagents so dress nice ladies.'”
The newspaper says parents and administrators are concerned that the draft, which is not an official school function, objectifies women.
It’s the latest prom date ask to go viral, from popping the question in a note that looks like an acceptance letter from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, to a reenactment of the iconic LIFE photo of a sailor kissing a nurse in the middle of Times Square on V-J Day.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time