A photograph depicting a group of soldiers joking around an empty casket draped with the American flag has resulted in the suspension of a National Guard soldier who apparently posted the photograph on her Instagram feed.
The photograph, taken at a guard training facility in Arkansas, shows 14 soldiers around a casket, with one showing a peace sign, another giving another soldier bunny ears, and several soldiers hugging playfully. The caption to the Instagram photo says “We put the FUN in funeral — your fearless honor guard from various states.” It has since gone viral on social media, with many expressing outrage at the stunt.
It was posted from an account belonging to to Spc. Terry Harrison of the Madison, Wis.-based 1st Battalion, 147th Aviation Regiment, reports the Associated Press. Harrison has been suspended from Wisconsin’s Honor Guard and assigned to other duties. She has not publicly commented, but an Instagram account under the same name that posted the original photo now has a photo that says “I’m Sorry.”
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement