In the 1970’s millions of American viewers got to know Ralph White as the patriarch in the popular television series The Waltons, and in recent years younger viewers got to know him through the CBS hit NCIS.
On Thursday he passed away, at age 85, in his home in Palm Desert in California.
According to a friend who arrived at the house for a lunch date but was met by ambulances and Waite’s wife, the reason of his death was a “tired heart”.
Former and current colleagues have been reacting to the announcement of Ralph Waite’s passing with sadness, People reports. He leaves his wife, two daughters and a stepson.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction