A London penthouse in the city’s famed One Hyde Park housing development for the super rich has traded hands for a cool $236 million, making it the most expensive apartment in London and possibly the world.
The new owner of the 16,000-square foot, two-story penthouse has not been revealed, but London has seen a surge in demand from the Russian and Ukrainian super-wealthy looking for safe places to stash cash amid smoldering tensions and an uncertain future in the region.
The penthouse sold as an empty shell and when fully furnished its value could exceed $270 million, the Financial Times reports. The property is one of four at the One Hyde Park luxury development built in 2011 in Knightsbridge. Previously, the highest-priced apartment at One Hyde Park went to Ukrainian oligarch Rinat Akhmetov for $229 million.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction