Next year, MIT undergrads will pay $43,498 in tuition year, but hey, at least they’re getting 1oo free Bitcoins.
MIT’s Bitcoin Club arranged the giveaway in hopes of turning the cryptocurrency into a viable payment model.
The Bitcoin Club raised $500,000, most of it coming from a wealthy MIT alumnus, to make the project a reality.
Few stores in the Cambridge area currently accept the currency, but with 4,528 undergrads having 100 Bitcoins burning a hole in their digital pocket, that could yet change.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time