Author John Green took a selfie before the TIME 100 Gala on Tuesday, but he’d rather take one with some company.
“Is Benedict Cumberbatch here?” Green, a TIME 100 honoree and the author of The Fault In Our Stars, said in a brief interview during the gala. Told the actor wasn’t present, Green went said: “Then nobody. Or wait, is Kim Jong Un here?”
The North Korean dictator was not present.
“The thing about taking a selfie with Kim Jong Un is that after we take a selfie I’d do a citizens arrest,” Green said. “Like, ‘smile, you’re under arrest.'”
Green also dished on what he’s currently reading: Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner, and a New Yorker article about cave diving, which is terrifying and a hobby he’s “eight different ways of uninterested in.”
Asked how he channels teenagers in his young adult novels, Green said: “I remember what it’s like to be a teenager. I think a lot about being a teenager. Everything was happening for the first time and it all mattered so much.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Lily Rothman at email@example.com