The University of California, Los Angeles is rejecting a $3 million gift pledged by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and returning the $425,000 he has already donated.
The university made the announcement Tuesday after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver fined Sterling $2.5 million and banned him for life following the leak of an audio recording in which he made several racist comments.
“Mr. Sterling’s divisive and hurtful comments demonstrate that he does not share UCLA’s core values as a public university that fosters diversity, inclusion and respect,” read the university’s statement.
Sterling’s gift would have supported basic kidney research at the UCLA Division of Nephrology.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time