A Cincinnati man is in custody after allegedly killing his three-month-old daughter by punching her in the face.
Police say 24-year-old Shavale Johnson struck his daughter Asia Cathey “in a fit of frustration” Monday evening because she would not stop crying, Cincinatti.com reports. Sgt. Mike Miller said authorities are continuing to investigate the death.
Johnson is charged with endangering a child, but prosecutors say he will likely face more severe charges, including murder, once coroners determine how the child died. The baby was rushed to the hospital after her mother called 911 and was declared dead early Tuesday.
Police say Johnson confessed to punching the baby, but his sister Caress Johnson says her brother suffers from ADHD and “would say yes to anything.”
Johnson was arrested last year for an assault charge that was later dropped.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com