A Cincinnati man is in custody after allegedly killing his three-month-old daughter by punching her in the face.
Police say 24-year-old Shavale Johnson struck his daughter Asia Cathey “in a fit of frustration” Monday evening because she would not stop crying, Cincinatti.com reports. Sgt. Mike Miller said authorities are continuing to investigate the death.
Johnson is charged with endangering a child, but prosecutors say he will likely face more severe charges, including murder, once coroners determine how the child died. The baby was rushed to the hospital after her mother called 911 and was declared dead early Tuesday.
Police say Johnson confessed to punching the baby, but his sister Caress Johnson says her brother suffers from ADHD and “would say yes to anything.”
Johnson was arrested last year for an assault charge that was later dropped.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief