In the wonderful (capitalist) world of Disney, the best way to determine a princess’s popularity is by measuring how much money she makes. Here’s how the Disney princesses rank in terms of the amount they’ve earned on eBay since May 2013, according to sellers’ analytic tool Terapeak as reported by Jezebel:
1. Elsa (Frozen): $3,397,816
2. Cinderella (Cinderella): $2,504,259
3. Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs): $2,301,831
4. Anna (Frozen): $2,165,120
5. Ariel (The Little Mermaid): $1,483,384
6. Rapunzel (Tangled): $598,056
7. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty): $215,856
8. Merida (Brave): $282,188
9. Jasmine (Aladdin): $253,102
10. Tiana (The Princess and the Frog): $84,882
11. Belle (Beauty and the Beast): $6,867
It’s really no surprise that this year Elsa from Frozen is rolling in dough. Frozen became the No. 1 animated film of all time March. The movie has topped $400 million at the domestic box office and $1 billion total.
Frozen toys were sold out everywhere at the beginning of March — four and a half months after the movie’s release. Limited-edition Anna and Elsa dolls go for as much as $1,750 on eBay, and even the regular dolls were sold for hundreds of dollars (even though they retail at about $30 per doll), according to Jezebel.
What is surprising is that the top-selling doll is one who doesn’t end up with a prince at the end. Now that’s progress. In fact, Elsa and Merida are the only dolls even on the list who don’t have a love story.
But despite that victory, we still have a long way to go in our doll-purchasing habits. The blonde doll from Frozen unsurprisingly but sadly surpassed the brunette one. And the non-white princesses, Jasmine and Tiana, sat at the bottom of the list. (We’ll assume that Mulan didn’t make the cut because she’s not technically a princess, though she is a total badass.) Jasmine and Tiana only beat out Belle, the bookworm princess (who coincidentally was my favorite growing up as a bookworm myself).
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time