A married Republican Congressman from Louisiana who was caught on video kissing a female aide will not seek re-election.
“Today, I am announcing that I will not seek re-election, but I will continue to be that voice and will uphold the office to which I was elected to serve for the remainder of my term,” Representative Vance McAllister said in a statement Tuesday.
The 40-year-old, who won a vacated seat in the House of Representatives in November, touted his Christian beliefs and family values during his election campaign. In the statement, he acknowledged that he has fallen short of those values.
“I’ve failed those I care most about and let down the people who elected me to represent them. I take full responsibility for this personal failure and I’m truly sorry for what I’ve done,” he added.
McAllister’s wife flew with him to Washington, D.C., this week, and has said she is “behind him 100%” and that their marriage remains intact. The object of his illicit affections, however, has resigned from her post on his staff.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart