A married Republican Congressman from Louisiana who was caught on video kissing a female aide will not seek re-election.
“Today, I am announcing that I will not seek re-election, but I will continue to be that voice and will uphold the office to which I was elected to serve for the remainder of my term,” Representative Vance McAllister said in a statement Tuesday.
The 40-year-old, who won a vacated seat in the House of Representatives in November, touted his Christian beliefs and family values during his election campaign. In the statement, he acknowledged that he has fallen short of those values.
“I’ve failed those I care most about and let down the people who elected me to represent them. I take full responsibility for this personal failure and I’m truly sorry for what I’ve done,” he added.
McAllister’s wife flew with him to Washington, D.C., this week, and has said she is “behind him 100%” and that their marriage remains intact. The object of his illicit affections, however, has resigned from her post on his staff.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk