HBO has been teasing its upcoming drama The Leftovers for a while now, but Sunday night the first full-length trailer for the postapocalyptic show premiered in all its creepy, ominous glory.
Starring Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler, The Leftovers is based on the 2011 book by Tom Perrotta, who worked with Lost‘s Damon Lindelof to create the HBO version. The series takes place a few years after the sudden and mysterious disappearance of 2% of the world’s population in a Rapture-like event and follows how those left behind—the titular “leftovers”—deal with the loss (hint: join lots of cults, apparently).
Though it’s vague, the trailer offers just enough creeping dread to promise one hell of a gripping series and get us excited for its June 29 premiere.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State