Ellen Page, the Oscar-nominated star of Juno, has come out as gay.
At a Las Vegas conference Friday held by the Human Rights Campaign to support L.G.B.T. youth, Page told an audience straightforwardly, “I’m here today because I am gay.”
She received a standing ovation for her speech, in which she talked about wanting to serve as an example for other gay youth:
Page came out less than a week after Michael Sam, the University of Missouri football player and NFL prospect, announced he is gay. Sam would be the first openly gay player active in the football league if he is drafted.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases