You might not expect an ad for hair dye to be especially romantic, but hair cosmetics company Schwarzkopf Professional may have pulled it off. The spot, developed by the ad agency BBDO Germany, features a man enumerating the charming idiosyncrasies of his girlfriend—the way she laughs at bad jokes, her weakness for junk food, her love of a sunlit bedroom. The two-minute ad takes a surprising twist at the end that makes it all the more charming.
Though the ad encourages viewers to celebrate love “not just on Valentine’s Day,” it’s clearly timed to take advantage of the spending spree that accompanies the holiday. The National Retail Foundation estimates that the average American who celebrates Valentine’s Day will spend more than $130 on candy, cards, gifts and dinner. In total Americans are expected to spend $17.3 billion.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving