Lupita Nyong’o has been named People‘s “Most Beautiful”, landing a cover shoot for this week’s issue.
The actress, 31, was People‘s 25th “Most Beautiful” star. The magazine has been naming the 50 most beautiful celebrities in the world since 1990, when Michelle Pfeiffer was named most beautiful.
Nyong’o shot to fame as the slave Patsey in Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave and won an Academy Award for the role. Nyong’o recently landed a contract with the luxury beauty product brand Lancome Paris.
The actress told People that while growing up, she equated beauty with “light skin and long, flowing, straight hair,” and as a teen died her hair every color except blond and even shaved her head.
Growing up in Kenya, Nyong’o’s mother, who is the managing director and head of PR for the Africa Cancer Foundation, “always said I was beautiful,” the actor said. “And I believed her at some point.”
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer