Hole’s grunge classic Live Through This turned 20 years old last week, which prompted an outpouring of nostalgia for Courtney Love’s glory days — as well as a lot of bummed-out head-shaking at her spottier output in recent years: Hole’s poorly reviewed Nobody’s Daughter, Love’s poor-selling 2004 solo album, America’s Sweetheart.
But in advance of an upcoming tour, Love is releasing an double A-side on May 4, and the first song from it should serve as proof that Love’s still got it. “You Know My Name” is a thrilling punk workout that has Love screaming and spewing venom like the alt-rock banshee she once was. Just when the track seems to reach its peak, it ignites with a forceful hook: “All this world is burning up / It’s time that you retire.” Good thing she hasn’t.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate