Correction appended, April 24, 2014.
I don’t laugh out loud much anymore. I have seen way too much comedy, and one might say I am dead inside. But Key and Peele make me laugh — hard. [time-related-module]
These guys are crazy funny. They are smart, satirical, ridiculous, pointless, political, subversive, immature and important all at the same time. They know what they are doing and are ready for their moment.
I’m equally impressed by their friendship. These two men seem amazed and grateful to have found each other. And they come alive when kicking around ideas, in perfect sync, offering ways to build and expand each other’s premises. It is a wonder to behold.
We are writing a screenplay together, and I hope one day we make a movie. But regardless, every time I leave a meeting with them, I feel like I have been a part of something very special. It is comedy and love dancing together, and it is the best of the human race. (I think I went too far — but they are funny.)
Apatow is a producer, director and Emmy-winning screenwriter
Correction: The original version of this post misrepresented Apatow’s accolade. He is an Emmy-winning screenwriter.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time