Like millions around the world, I draw strength from brave Malala’s example.
I have seen courage in many places — in the thousands of our nation’s military members I have met and represented; in those who ran toward the gunfire in a Safeway parking lot on Jan. 8, 2011; and in our leaders who take the tough votes because it’s the right thing to do — but Malala’s courage is uncommon.
In the face of oppression and bitter injustice, she demands education and opportunity. In the face of violence from the hands of cowards, she refuses to back down.
Malala is a testament that women everywhere will not be intimidated into silence. We will make our voices heard.
We will speak, no matter how hard it is to do so.
Giffords is a retired Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Arizona and a co-founder of Americans for Responsible Solutions
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time