Mike Mitchell, an artist perhaps best known for his rendition of Conan O’Brien in his iconic “I’m With COCO” poster, has teamed up with Austin’s Mondo Gallery to present approximately 50 portraits of characters from throughout the Marvel universe. His subjects range from the popular Avengers such as Iron Man and Captain America to lesser-known characters within the Marvel pantheon such as Black Cat and Mysterio.
“My love for Marvel Comics was an integral part of growing up,” Mitchell said in a press release. “Not just the comics, but the action figures, video games and cartoons. My intention with this show was to take those characters out of their action-oriented world and give them a moment of silence to catch their breath. There’s a humanizing quality to that which I find extremely interesting.”
Mitchell’s Marvel portraits will be featured in the “Mike Mitchell x Marvel x Mondo” exhibit at the Mondo Gallery in Austin, TX from April 25 through May 17.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time