Mike Mitchell, an artist perhaps best known for his rendition of Conan O’Brien in his iconic “I’m With COCO” poster, has teamed up with Austin’s Mondo Gallery to present approximately 50 portraits of characters from throughout the Marvel universe. His subjects range from the popular Avengers such as Iron Man and Captain America to lesser-known characters within the Marvel pantheon such as Black Cat and Mysterio.
“My love for Marvel Comics was an integral part of growing up,” Mitchell said in a press release. “Not just the comics, but the action figures, video games and cartoons. My intention with this show was to take those characters out of their action-oriented world and give them a moment of silence to catch their breath. There’s a humanizing quality to that which I find extremely interesting.”
Mitchell’s Marvel portraits will be featured in the “Mike Mitchell x Marvel x Mondo” exhibit at the Mondo Gallery in Austin, TX from April 25 through May 17.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.