Despite a rocky year for Justin Bieber, the Canadian pop star surged to the top of the TIME 100 reader poll, edging out Egyptian Presidential candidate Abdul Fattah al-Sisi. Though the final TIME 100 list of the most influential people of the year worldwide is always ultimately chosen by the editors, TIME seeks the input of readers in an online poll.
Music stars Rihanna and Lady Gaga take third and fourth place in the current poll, though Gaga has a clear lead. Benedict Cumberbatch, whose fans have come out strong on Twitter, has slipped to sixth place, just under Beyonce. On the same day that Orange is the New Black‘s season 2 trailer premiered, transgender actress Laverne Cox snuck into the top 10 above Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o and pop star Katy Perry.
Polls closed at 11:59 p.m. on April 22. We’ll announce our official TIME 100 list on April 24.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State