Updated: Feb. 11, 9:00 a.m.
Bob Costas, who’s anchoring much of NBC’s primetime Sochi Winter Olympics coverage, is battling an eye infection — and he appears to be losing.
Costas acknowledged having “some kind of minor infection which should resolve itself by the weekend” on Thursday. It has not resolved itself. It has, instead, spread to both of his eyes:
Props to Costas for hanging in there despite what looks like double pink eye (Or is that just “pink eyes?”). Just two more weeks to go, Bob!
Update: But on Tuesday morning, NBC announced that Costas would be taking the night off from his Olympic duties, to be replaced by Matt Lauer. Costas managed a humorous toss to Lauer despite his cringe-worthy eye infection, saying: “Reluctantly, I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we’re going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but you’re Mariano Rivera, at least tonight.”
Costas’ appearance has, of course, invited all sorts of jokes on Twitter:
This post has been updated to indicate Costas taking Tuesday off from reporting.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time