Updated: Feb. 11, 9:00 a.m.
Bob Costas, who’s anchoring much of NBC’s primetime Sochi Winter Olympics coverage, is battling an eye infection — and he appears to be losing.
Costas acknowledged having “some kind of minor infection which should resolve itself by the weekend” on Thursday. It has not resolved itself. It has, instead, spread to both of his eyes:
Props to Costas for hanging in there despite what looks like double pink eye (Or is that just “pink eyes?”). Just two more weeks to go, Bob!
Update: But on Tuesday morning, NBC announced that Costas would be taking the night off from his Olympic duties, to be replaced by Matt Lauer. Costas managed a humorous toss to Lauer despite his cringe-worthy eye infection, saying: “Reluctantly, I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we’re going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but you’re Mariano Rivera, at least tonight.”
Costas’ appearance has, of course, invited all sorts of jokes on Twitter:
This post has been updated to indicate Costas taking Tuesday off from reporting.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror