What started as a boring interview during Samuel L. Jackson’s Robocop press tour was transformed into viral gold after a KTLA entertainment reporter asked him about his Super Bowl commercial. This was slightly problematic, since Jackson wasn’t in a Super Bowl commercial — that was Laurence Fishburne.
“Oh hell no…” Jackson said. “There’s more than one black guy doing commercials. I’m the ‘What’s in your wallet?’ black guy. [Fishburne’s] the car black guy. Morgan Freeman is the other credit card black guy. You only hear his voice though, so you probably won’t confuse him with Laurence Fishburne.”
After KTLA’s Sam Rubin apologized and tried to move on, another off-camera reporter made a smarmy comment about how he actually thought Jackson was Bob Dylan (who also had a Super Bowl spot), but Jackson was having none of it.
“There must be a very short line for your job,” he said.
For the record, here’s Fishburne’s Kia ad:
And here’s Jackson’s work for Capitol One:
Note: these are two completely different people.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World