Indian luge athlete Shiva Keshavan was first introduced to the sport as a teen—when he was shown some luge videos, followed by a screening of Cool Runnings—and quickly picked it up. Now he’s the country’s main medal hope at the Winter Olympics which start in Sochi next month.
There are no luge tracks in India on which to practice, so Keshavan has had to be creative about his training. Replacing the blades on his sled with wheels, he takes advantage of the steep, winding highways in the Himalayan foothills. Traffic? No problem. Man herding sheep? No problem. Just don’t try this on a road near you.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time